A standard for teachers’ professional development has been issued by the DFE.
The Teachers’ Standards set out a number of expectations about professional development; namely, that teachers should:
- Keep their knowledge and skills as teachers up-to-date and be self-critical;
- Take responsibility for improving teaching through appropriate professional development, responding to advice and feedback from colleagues;
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of how pupils learn and how this has an impact on teaching;
- Have a secure knowledge of the relevant subject(s) and curriculum areas;
- Reflect systematically on the effectiveness of lessons and approaches to teaching; and
- Know and understand how to assess the relevant subject and curriculum areas.
We at Catshill Learning Partnerships are proud to deliver professional development courses and training that meets the published standard:
“Effective professional development for teachers is a core part of securing effective teaching. It cannot exist in isolation, rather it requires a pervasive culture of scholarship with a shared commitment for teachers to support one another to develop so that pupils benefit from the highest quality teaching.”